The ESA 5G METEORS MakerSpace activity led by Eurescom GmbH implements and operates a framework supporting the dynamic investigation and prototyping in the 5G satellite convergence domain. The objective is to respond in an agile manner to technology developments driven by the market and the standardization work in 3GPP and support the integration of satellites in 5G for direct access (3GPP RAN) and backhaul (3GPP SA).
5G METEORS organizes competitive open calls to select activities to be performed by a wide community of developers, experts and stakeholders from the targeted area and distribute funds to selected 3rd parties up to 600,000€ in total. The funding is available to German entities only with 100% of cost coverage, typically ensuring funding between 5,000 and 60,000€ per a single selected activity.
The Second 5G METEORS Competitive Open Call is now open for submissions – submission deadline: 8 July 2020 at 17:00 CET – addressing the following topics:
1) OPEN CALL FOR SMALL ACTIVITIES
Maximum funding per activity/proposal: 10,000€. The duration of the activity shall not exceed 6 months, with one intermediate review. Full details are available at the following link.
2) PROTOTYPING 5G NEW RADIO FOR SATELLITE ON HIGHER PROTOCOL LAYERS RLC/PDCP/RRC
Maximum funding per activity/proposal: 60,000€. The duration of the activity shall not exceed 8 months, with one intermediate review. Full details are available at the following link.
3) PROTOTYPING SATELLITE INTEGRATION IN 5G VIA N3IWF INTERFACE
Maximum funding per activity/proposal: 40,000€. The duration of the activity shall not exceed 8 months, with one intermediate review. Full details are available at the following link.
4) REDUCED CAPABILITY NEW RADIO DEVICES IN THE 5G CONTEXT
Maximum funding per activity/proposal: 15,000€. This activity is expected to last during the 3GPP Study Item on RedCap, which will start in August 2020. The end date of the study item is currently under discussion and will be fixed at the RAN Plenary in September 2020 latest. Full details are available at the following link.
5) VALIDATION OF SOFTWARE DEFINED 5G NEW RADIO OVER SATELLITE
Maximum funding per activity/proposal: 20,000€. The validation over satellite shall be performed from September 2020 within a total duration of 3 months. Full details are available at the following link.
- Eligibility – Funding is available to German entities, only
- Submission deadline: 8 July 2020, 17:00 CET (Berlin time)
- Submissions must follow the proposal template and must be submitted through the online submission portal (both available on the 5G METEORS website at https://5gmeteors.eurescom.eu/open-calls/)
- Language: All communication, including proposals and reports to be delivered must be made in English
- Announcement of open call results: 22 July 2020 (latest)
- Start of implementations: September 2020
Further 5G METEORS opportunities:
Note that the 5G METEORS is expected to have one further competitive open call. Topics for this open calls will be determined later on, but in any case an actual implementation and prototyping following Call2 Topic 4 REDUCED CAPABILITY NEW RADIO DEVICES IN THE 5G CONTEXT is foreseen.
Furthermore, the 5G METEORS is also collecting ideas and suggestions for activities to become part of the last open call. To contribute, please, do not hesitate to provide your ideas by contacting us at [email protected].
For more information about the 5G METEORS and its open calls, please, visit the 5G METEORS website at https://5gmeteors.eurescom.eu/ or contact us via e-mail at [email protected] (The contact e-mail address is archived).